Two years of crowed NYC grocery stores have made me appreciate leisurely trips to wide-open Costco more than I thought possible. Not only are the prices tough to beat, but Costco puts their product vendors through a rigorous approval process prior to making it to the shelf - making me less skeptical of product quality.
Although the prices are hard to beat and we are ALL guilty of the mindless aisle wandering (and maybe even some sampling...), not everything at Costco makes the cut for foods I would keep in my pantry (but who doesn't love the poppyseed muffins?!).
Below I'm sharing some of my favorite finds from my latest trip to the grocery-mecca.
Hope you enjoy! xx
1. Lara Bars - y'all, these are SO good for grab n' go. I typically keep one of these in my purse to help take the edge off of cravings/hunger while I'm out and about.
2. Pitted Dates - Skip the process of pitting your own and buy those to quickly throw your morning smoothie for an extra boost of sweet and to promote digestion and heart health.
3. Vega Protein & Greens Vanilla - great plant based protein for smoothies + a boost of greens!
4. Made in Nature Figgy Pops - I love love love Made in Nature's dried fruit products and these Mangoberry Figgy Pops are at the top of my list. They're great for curbing sweets cravings or to throw in a kid's lunch.
5. Banza Chickpea Pasta - That's right, noodles made from chickpeas! This gives the feeling and satisfaction of a pasta dish + protein AND without the bad carbs that will leave you feeling unsatisfied and cause crashes in energy.
6. Kirkland Organic Hummus - These hummus cups are awesome for packed lunches or for on the go and they don't contain the junk that A LOT of popular hummus brands do.
7. Suja Drinking Vinegar in Strawberry Balsamic - There are sooooo many health benefits to getting a daily dose of vinegar so why not enjoy in a delicious Suja juice?
8. Skinny Pop - because honestly you can never have enough popcorn...
9. Kirkland Organic Almond Butter - we go through a LOT of nut butter in our house so this stuff is solid gold. Watch for added sugar in your nut butters - that should be a deal killer!
10. Tommy's Organic Sweet Potatoes - Hate peeling and dicing your SP? Or just simply don't have time? These are a great alternative for more convenient meals/meal prep.
I love eating out at restaurants...a LOT (how could you not living in New York City?). For me, the combo of atmosphere, tasy food and time with loved ones creates an experience that's far beyond what's on the plate. With that being said, it can be hard to maintain a healthy diet while eating out.
Eating out and eating healthy do not have to be mutually exclusive. Many restaurants have added “light” dishes or even sections to their menus in the hopes of catering to those with more mindful diets. If there’s not a clearly marked section of offerings, here are my tips and tricks for keeping it as light and healthy as possible-
Please keep in mind that these are merely suggestions and considerations that I keep in mind when eating out. You can come up with a list that feels right for you and that won’t leave you hungry or unsatisfied.
And of course, every once and a while, let yourself indulge! Life's too short...