In case you were looking for it, this is proof that Mexican food can be healthy AND tasty.
My favorite thing about the slow cooker is that I can throw all the ingredients in and then even at the end of a super crazy day, there's a home-cooked and healthy meal ready to eat. This is really a staple in my kitchen.
These slow cooker fajitas are so simple to throw together, so full of flavor and so yummy. Even better...they're made with clean ingredients that will make your bod feel great.
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 red, orange and green bell pepper, julienned
1 large yellow onion, halved and sliced
1/2 c mushrooms
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp honey
Corn tortillas, cilantro, salsa, guacamole, cheddar or cojita cheese, pico
1. Pour half of the canned tomatoes into the bottom of a slow cooker and spread into an even layer. Top with half of the peppers, half of the mushrooms, and half of the onions. Sprinkle garlic in. Top with chicken breasts.
2. In a bowl whisk together chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Evenly sprinkle half of the seasoning over chicken breasts then flip chicken and sprinkle in remainder. Top with remaining half of the tomatoes, then layer in remaining peppers, mushrooms and onions.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH heat 3 - 4 hours or low heat 6 - 8 hours, until chicken has cooked through and veggies are tender.
4. Remove chicken, and cut into strips or shred. Ladle out 1 cup of the broth in slow cooker (mostly tomato liquid) and discard. In a small bowl whisk together lime juice and honey and add to slow cooker along with chicken and season with additional salt to taste if desired. Gently toss.
5. Serve warm in warmed tortillas with your favorite toppings!