What could be better than the smell of homemade bread filling your house?
I can vividly remember waking up to this smell as a young girl - my mom up early prepping the dough and making loafs and rolls for the family to enjoy. There was so much heart in everything she made.
This honey whole wheat bread is one of my favorite things to make and is the be all end all, y'all. Its the perfect combo of sweet and hearty. And the best part? It doesn't have all the added preservatives/extra ingredients you'll find at the grocery store.
5 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup gluten
2/3 cup honey
Approximately 11 cups of whole wheat flour
1. Add water, yeast, and sugar and let sit for 5 minutes or until it bubbles. (I just do it right in the mixer.)
2. Add gluten, honey, and oil to yeast mixture and mix.
3. Start adding whole wheat flour until it pulls away from bowl. (I add the salt with the flour; I think the yeast doesn’t rise enough if you add it in the wet.)
4. Turn out onto a flour dusted breadboard and knead a few times.
5. Let rise until it doubles in size.
6. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.
*My small loaves bake in about 20 minutes and my larger in about 33