Looking for a new protein to throw into your meal prep routine? Well let me tell you, this one here takes the cake! (get it, salmon cake?)
As I've mentioned probably one hundred thousand times on my Instagram page, meal prepping is the key to success for those looking to stay on track with their diet. When life gets crazy and free time becomes scarce our clean eating is usually the first thing to be sacrificed. And I get it...I am totally guilty of this! That's why I started meal prepping - preparing protein, fruits and vegetables (usually not full meals) on Sunday evenings to be enjoyed in various ways throughout the week. It. saves. me.
This week, I added in salmon cakes to the mix. Traditionally I oven bake my salmon and call it a day but decided to take it a step further to switch up the routine and meals a bit. These salmon cakes are soooo easy to throw together, store super well and are really great in a variety of dishes - think salads, sandwiches, crumbled in tacos, etc.
Recipe on how to make below!
2 salmon fillets
Extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs*
Additional seasoning of your choice
*you can sub for seasoned bread crumbs to switch up flavor, just watch for ingredients!
1. Place salmon in baking dish and drizzle with EVOO, then sprinkle with salt and pepper
2. Bake salmon at 400 degrees for about 30-35 minutes (you want the salmon to be slightly undercooked since you'll continue to cook after cakes are formed)
3. Once done, pull salmon out of the oven and place in medium size mixing bowl then shred with a fork
4. Add bread crumbs, egg and seasoning and mix thoroughly and then form patties about 1/2 inch thick and about 2 inches across (two fillets should make about eight patties depending on size of fillets)
5. Warm about 1TB of EVOO in a large frying pan and then place patties in the pan, cooking for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on each side or until each side is slightly browned